Căpleni municipality lies on the Crasna riverbank, 4 km north of Carei and 40 km from the county center. It has been an independent commune since 2002, after Cămin was separated from it.

It was first mentioned in a document in 1212 as part of the Kapolyn clan's domain. The clan's descendants, the Károlyis, Vetésis, Csomaközis and Bagosis owned it until the end of the XIVth century, when it became the exclusive property of the Károlyi family.

The settlement's history has been greatly influenced by that of Carei. Căpleni was officially part of the town between 1969 and 1990.

This is one of the four completely deserted settlements where count Károlyi brought the first Kraut settlers in 1712. Many of these families moved to other villages and some returned to their homeland, unable to adapt to the new conditions.

After 1945, as a result of deportation to the Soviet Union and massive emigration, the German community of Căpleni diminished dramatically.

At the time of the 2002 census, the village had 3135 inhabitants, more than 90% of them Hungarian, 3,18 Roma, 3,15% Kraut and German and 2,9% Romanian.

Căpleni lies at the southern border of the former Ecedea marsh, therefore several of its traditional trades are linked to the marsh's resources. It was formerly known as a center for matting, but after the marsh was drained, agriculture has become the main source of income. Farming is predominant, livestock breeding being less representative. Land is cultivated both by associations and personally by owners. There are no industrial units in the village, however a great number of its inhabitants work in the industrial sector, due to the closeness of Carei. The village has a few small commercial units.

The monastic centre founded by the Károlyi family is the village's most important tourist site. According to local tradition, the Kaplony clan's family monastery was built around 1080. However, the monastery was only mentioned in 1268 in written documents and XVth century sources mention it as unfunctional. Only in the second decade of the XVIIth century did Alexandru Károlyi take the initiative of its reconstruction, turning it into a fransiscan monastery. The 1834 earthquake hit the church and the monastery's building. The next reconstruction was based on the famous Miklós Ybl's plans. The church, rebuilt between 1841-1848 was consecrated in honor of Saint Anthony. The architectural site also includes the Károlyi family crypt where 36 family members are buried. Probably the best known of them is Alexandru, the one who initiated the peace treaty of Satu Mare and was one of the most important personalities in the county's history. The crypt has been open for public since 1948 and has become a pilgrimage site for tourists.

In 1999 a new Roman Catholic church was built and dedicated to Saint Joseph.

The modern style Calvinist church was built in 2004 and in 2006 the old small church that Calvinists had previously used, was demolished. There is also a Greek Catholic church in the village.

István Fényi (1919-2000), teacher, poet and translator was born in Căpleni, the village's school bears his name.

As in other Kraut settlements, Căpleni's brass band plays a major role in keeping old traditions alive. Communal life evolves around the community center. Căpleni is part of the Carei and Ier Plains Rural Association.

Play   Stop   1  of 4 photos
Continutul acestui material nu reprezinta in mod necesar pozitia oficiala a Uniunii Europene.