Nagykálló locality is located just 14 km south-east of Nyíregyháza. The city can be easily reached on 4911 road, or by train.

In the 14th century, Nagykálló was already a borough and was owned by the Kállay family. For a while, it bordered with a settlement with a similar name, Kiskálló. Until today, the two were unified. Due to its favorable position at the high-traffic crossroads of Tokaj-Satu Mare and Debrecen - Uzhgorod - Munkacevo - Beregovo, it gradually became the economic and commercial centre in the area. In the 14th century was undoubtedly the largest settlement of the county of Szabolcs. In 1457, the Kállay family, the borough landowners have received permission to erect a castle in the village. In 1556 the Turks burnt the building down, and for defensive efficiency, the owners built a fortress instead the lost castle. In the 17th century, Nagykálló remained an important economic center. Around the city were built many grain warehouses and the town became an important center of saltpeter making and the borough collected even tricesima. Signs of prosperity are the emergence and development of guilds: horse dealers, blacksmiths, locksmiths, tailors, shoemakers, furriers awarded with different degrees during 1616-1654. The settlement became the seat of Szabolcs County in 1747. In 1876, when the county centre was moved to Nyíregyháza, Nagykálló became a peripheral town. In the same period the town lost its status, which manages to recover hardly in 1989.

In the city center, the most beautiful and most valuable building in terms of architecture is the former Comitatens Headquarters, now the Psychiatric Hospital. The building of the Baroque construction began under the plans of the Italian architect Salvatore Aprilis, in 1769. Initially U-shaped, the building has assumed the current structure at the end of the 19th century. During that period, several works of expansion enlarged the building with a new wing, resulting in a rectangular plan delineating an interior courtyard. The interior facades of the old building ground floor were provided with open arches. The best part of the building is the eastern facade, with a division quite rare in matter of decorations using lateral and central jutties relatively narrow.
The city has a Calvinist Church, a Roman Catholic Church and a Greek Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic Church, dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, was built by the Kállay family in 1753-1783.

Play   Stop   1  of 5 photos
Continutul acestui material nu reprezinta in mod necesar pozitia oficiala a Uniunii Europene.