Ciumeşti lies in the county's western region, 50 km from Satu Mare and 13 km from Carei. Its territory extends up to the Hungarian border. It only became an independent municipality in 2004, after 3 villages (Ciumeşti, Berea and Viişoara) were detached from Sanislău. The 2002 census registered 1444 inhabitants for these 3 villages, 1238 of them living in Ciumeşti, 197 in Berea and 9 in Viişoara.

Ciumeşti lies in the contact zone of fertile plains and the sand dunes of Carei Plain on the precincts of a human settlement that dates back to the Bronze Age. However, more important findings of the place are Celtic necropolises from the Iron Age. In the 1960's a very rare iron helmet was discovered in a princely grave, decorated with a bird of prey. Its original is in Bucharest, but the Satu Mare County Museum also has one of its copies exhibited. Archeological researches discovered several Celtic graves, as well as traces of a settlement.

Ciumeşti was first mentioned in 1306 in a written document. It was part of the Kaplony clan's property, becoming later that of its descendents, the Csomaközy family. Besides the Csomaközys, the Károlyi, Vetési and Bagosi families also owned parts of the village. In 1768, after the exctinction of the Csomaközy family, their share became the property of the Mészáros family, who encouraged the settling of Krauts. At the beginning of the XXth century, the most important owners were the Degenfeld counts. Ciumeşti also suffered great losses in 1945 due to the deportation of its German inhabitants. Almost 150 Krauts were taken to work camps in the USSR.

The village's economy is dominated by agriculture. Its efficiency is supervised by „Schamagosch" agricultural association that grows plants and breeds livestock as well. Wine growing is also important, the area's wines are becoming more and more famous.

The old Calvinist church (initially a Roman Catholic one) is the oldest building of the village. It was built in the XVth century's Gothic style, without a tower. The wooden belfry was added in the XIXth century. The church is out of use today and its dilapidation is obvious. The few Calvinists of the village use the neighbouring Berea's church.

The Orthodox church, dedicated to Saint Michael and Gabriel Archangels was built in 1794 and is a branch of Horea parish. The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to King Saint Steven was built between 1854-1856 and has the most worshippers in the village. There are two more Roman Catholic chapels in the two cemeteries, one is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the other one to Saint Ignatus of Loyola.

Play   Stop   1  of 6 photos
Continutul acestui material nu reprezinta in mod necesar pozitia oficiala a Uniunii Europene.